Category: Life and leisure

Leyland Avenue

Leyland Avenue, off Cottonmill Lane, was built in 1933 by the Whitehall Building Company of St Albans. The land was originally part of the Nunnery Farm in Sportsman’s Hall field owned by Lord Verulam. The last tenant farmer was Charles… More about ‘Leyland Avenue’»

Prefabs in Sopwell

The years following Word War 2 saw the building of thousands of prefabricated dwellings all over Britain. Familiarly called prefabs, they provided homes for returning servicemen and their families. Many of them were built in Sopwell and some of them… More about ‘Prefabs in Sopwell’»