Leyland Avenue

Leyland Avenue, off Cottonmill Lane, was built in 1933 by the Whitehall Building Company of St Albans. The land was originally part of the Nunnery Farm in Sportsman’s Hall field owned by Lord Verulam. The last tenant farmer was Charles Pearce. It is a cul de sac, but that wasn’t the original plan. According to the residents, the builders ran out of money. Leyland Avenue is a popular street for street parties. They had one for VE day after the war in 1945 and another when the Queen was crowned in 1953.

Leave a comment

  • (will not be published)