In 1931-2, subsidised by the government, the Workman’s Housing Association built 134 houses where there was once a footpath leading up the hill from Eywood Road. The estate was called the Eywood estate which later became part of St Julian’s estate and the roads were called Doggetts Way and Wilshere Avenue. The houses all had three bedrooms, a bathroom and fair sized gardens and were built of dull red brick with tiles to tone and partly stuccoed. The rents when they were first built were eight shillings and sixpence per week for the parlour type and six shillings and sixpence per week for the non-parlour type. The houses were not all rented, some were built for sale.
Wilshere Avenue was named after the Wilshere family who were the owners of the Eywood Estate and had been since the early 19th century. At the time the road was built, the owner was Alice Augusta Wilshere. John Doggett was a mayor of St Albans in 1675 so Doggett’s Way is probably named after him. There was also a field called Doggett’s Field which was at the top of the hill overlooking the gasworks – the grassy area by the path between Trumpington Drive and Maynard Drive, where the line of poplar trees is now.
The mayor of St Albans, Mr J. Flint, performed the opening ceremony in 1932.