The Cottonmill Baptist church, Abbots Avenue, was a sister church to the Baptist church in Dagnall Street, St Albans. Money was raised by the community to build this church in the early 1950s. The photo on the left is of the ceremony of laying the foundation stone by Alderman Bird, the Mayor in 1952-3. It is thought that the man on the right is Mr Macmillan, who had a lot to do with the church, and the lady in the uniform was known as Sister Ruth. Mr Sinfield is playing the piano. In 1968, the Cottonmill Baptists merged with the Park Street Baptists and the church was left vacant until 1976 when it was bought by the Christadelphian church.
Photo courtesy of Alan Beardmore