Once there were four shops in Cottonmill Lane built when the Mentmore estate was constructed in 1938-9, two either side. Margaret shares her memories of them. She also recalls the delivery vans that called round selling all sorts of goods including hats! Further up in Watsons Walk, O;d London Road and Alma Cut she remembers other shops. There was also a fish and chip shop on what was called Park Corner near the Hare and Hounds pub.
Interview date 22 February 2011. Interviewer: Sandy Norman