As reported at length in Sopwell: a history and collection of memories (Appendix 1), a fire was started deliberately in a corrugated iron shed stacked with waste paper in the area near the ruins called Sopwell Nunnery farm. This was in 1931. The farm, also known as Pearce’s scrapyard, was owned by Edgar Percy Pearce. The man charged with arson was Albert Evans. The Herts Advertiser of 20 February 1931 includes this picture.
Leave a comment