St Stephen’s is the oldest church in Sopwell. It stands on the corner of the old Roman road of Watling Street and St Stephens Hill. The original church was built by the Abbot Ulsinus in AD 948 and is on a Roman burial site. Sepulchral remains have been found there. In the twelfth century the church was replaced by a Norman construction parts of which still remain. In 1220 under Abbot, William Trumpington, a lady chapel was added. More changes were made in 1860 when the church was restored. St Stephen’s has the oldest font in St Albans, dated 1350. Here are some images of the church over the years reproduced from the archives courtesy of the present incumbent the Reverend. David Ridgeway. The images without dates are probably from the early twentieth century.
Leave a comment